Monday 29 December 2008

Odyssey 10 - New Space : Online Applications

Online Application, such as Google Docs, creates a new workspace on the internet for everyone. I recently created an account on Google Docs for myself. My friend and I are working very hard on a document which I posted on Google Docs. I find that it is exciting because I can save it on the website and share the document with her. I sent her a link to invite her to join Google Docs, so she can edit wherever she is and whenever she wants. I really like the idea! So even though we are busy in our life, we still can work at our own space to meet the deadline.

We also think about combining other web 2.0 technology to make our work more efficient. For instance, we can have a web conference when we work on the same document on Google Docs at our homes at the same time. Such a wonderful idea!

My only concern with Online Applications is all about security. Although these online applications are available and are free to the public, I am worried about whether there are cyber criminals who can log in my account and steal my document. Would the Google company guarantee their internet security that their applications are save enough if people use them for small business or at work.

No comments: